Thursday, May 17, 2012

Donna Summer has passed on

Donna Summer has passed away, yet another victim of breast cancer. I post today quickly, just to commemorate her absence from this world. She's been in every MP3 player I've ever owned.

This news isn't off-topic, as I watched her in the movie Thank God It's Friday. The film student I dated in college (she that put me on the path to being Half a Film Student) rented the video one night. The movie wasn't perfect, but it was very entertaining, and it featured Ms. Summer singing 4 wonderful songs. It might've been the first time I heard "Last Dance."

I never followed Donna like I did the Beastie Boys. I can't feel her loss as badly as I did Adam Yauch. I was, however, completely pulled in by "I Feel Love" - it's a fantastic club song with a great beat and hypnotic vocals by Summer.


Even live, it's fantastic.

I'm not the only one that was enamored of her voice or sound, tho. Donna's music, according to IMDb, has been used over and over in film and tv. If you care to follow up, just skim the soundtrack listing I linked to - 116 titles, including video games, from 1974 to this year. That's nearly as many Jimi Hendrix, a record that speaks for itself, considering that she wasn't the greatest guitarist of all time.

Thank you very much, Donna, for your beautiful voice and the great tunes you've given me. I've listened to you once every two weeks, at least, for the last 10 years. I won't stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!