Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Question for the Week of June 4 - June 10: Recent Kid Flick

What's the last kid's picture I watched?
I dated a big-time movie buff in 2007 (match made in heaven, right?) and we went to see Bridge to Terabithia. She suggested it, confident that I'd be game for a children's film - something I hadn't seen in 7 years, different from anything we'd seen before - and she was dead-right.

She chose well, too. The movie was well-made, setting every element up nicely. The beginning establishes a simple family environment that feels very authentic, like in Close Encounters or Spy Kids. The fx were very good, and the imaginary world recalled Heavenly Creatures, which is a fine pic to even be reminded of.

More importantly, I had no idea what to expect. I saw a film that did not talk down to the audience and wasn't riddled with cliches. In fact, Terabithia had a huge storyline surprise, and I was impressed by how the film dealt with the subject matter while also playing out its story.

Oh hell, I just realized I actually saw Ponyo after that! But I already wrote this entry, and I negatively reviewed Ponyo over two years ago. Maybe I should change the question to "the last kid's movie I saw in the theater?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!