Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Question for the Week of Nov. 12-18: Best Poster + Tagline

What's my favorite movie poster tagline?
Well, there are some that I love ironically, and there are some that I love because they're so awful. Anyone who knows me well is aware that I often use the taglines from Jaws 4: The Revenge (that sub-title!) and the second half of the title for Breakin' 2.

And, clearly, Striking Distance deserves its own spot in the treasure chest of trivia my brain is full of, which is why it's got it's own post on this site...

But if I were pressed to call one up to stand above all? For sheer quality, I'll have to go with the original A Nightmare on Elm Street.

I love that movie - like "more than a friend." I want a locket around my neck that's capable of playing ANoES any time I want to see it. I want to record the film in audio only, so I can listen to it as a radio play...

The direction, the actors, that score - as I wrote a little while ago, even the poster is superb. But that article was about modern film marketing, not me gushing over something I revere, like the imagery on that beautiful poster.

And then we come to the tagline at the top - and, f--k me, but that's a homerun, too:

If Nancy doesn't wake up screaming/she won't wake up at all.
Fantastic

Thank you, Wes - and if Mr. Craven didn't think up that tagline, then thanks to whoever wrote that, too. You helped give us a perfect horror film, as well as a perfect overall film poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!