Monday, February 10, 2014

Fan-made Poster Critique Video

Lady T is one of my favorite bloggers. She's got a real passion for film, literature, and TV. I find myself really engaged by her blog, living read girl, and I enjoy commenting on her thoughts and opinions as expressed therein.

Last year, in a comment to one of my posts here, she sent me this link. And I'm so glad she did! (Note: she also embedded the video in her great rundown of 2013 web videos)

The guy who created this video, going by the name "trachenburg," takes a good 7 and a half minutes to talk about how film posters are generally unimaginative, cookie-cutter affairs. He compares all the repeated poses, backdrops, and color schemes in a very thoughtful-yet-brief way.


In part, I'm glad that it's not just me - that I'm not the only person saddened/annoyed by the lack of creativity. It's a bonus that I really agree with just about everything that he points out.

And when you boil it all down, the biggest flaw in trachenburg's arguments is that he points to several 80's graphics as examples of what graphic artists are doing wrong - but at the same time, he's also upholding several other 80's posters as fine examples of quality work; even there, though, his criticisms still hold water...

If you'd like some more examples of my own complaints regarding film ads, just check out the tag for my Imposters entries... And thanks again, Lady T!

2 comments:

  1. You're very welcome and thank you for the kind praise,good sir:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Thank you so much for the good suggestion...

      Delete

Chime in!