Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Stanley (not Kubrick's) Hotel

Happy July, everyone! I just wanted to let you know that my review of Europa Report goes up tomorrow, with reviews of Scream and Sunday RwOs coming up, as well an MRQ later in the month.


The Stanley Hotel is a 140-room hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. I had the pleasure of visiting Estes this year, and my love of architecture guaranteed that I was very happy to see such a beautiful building. My love of pop culture, however, guaranteed that I was thrilled to see the famed place that inspired a Stephen King novel, The Shining.

Unfortunately, Kubrick did not choose to use this location when he adapted King's novel into a somewhat well-known film. The Timberline Lodge on Oregon's Mount Hood was used for some exterior shots, and Kubrick had a life-size recreation to work with, but that's about it.


Sad as it is that I didn't get to see the exterior used in the film, this is a wonderful structure with an important place in pop culture history. I'm very glad I got to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!